Saturday 8 January 2011

Texture from tools

Texture
These puppets below are from the production 'Or you could kiss me' by Neil Bartlett. The rod controlled marionettes were created by Handspring Puppet Company the makers behind the incredible War Horse.
http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/59865/productions/or-you-could-kiss-me.html

These are a great example of using the tool marks to represent skin texture and the form of muscles even tendons and bone stucture under the skin. They are carved with confident single cuts that distinguish certain areas but also as a whole bring the character to life.
A perfect example of the kind of finish I want to achieve in my marionette. Of course these marks show the age of the character so I will use more subtle marks but still done with the same single confident cuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment